Is Manafort soon to be gone from Trump campaign?

I’m hearing rumblings from Republican sources that Manafort may soon be gone from the Trump campaign.

Who might come in to the campaign instead? GOP imp-for-hire Roger Stone.

Mind you, this is all rumor at this point, but I’m told Republican operatives are “furiously texting” amongst themselves about whether Manafort is imminently out, and whether Stone is coming back. (Stone was part of Trump’s campaign early on, then left.)

Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort.

Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort.

When I asked whether Trump’s former campaign manager Corey Lewandowski was going to come back, the sources I talked to said there “wasn’t a snowball’s chance in hell.” Trumps’ kids hate Corey, I was told. And there was no way they’d let him back in to the fold.

I’ve been wondering myself the past few days if Manafort’s days were numbered. There have been stories about Manafort allegedly being incredibly frustrated with Trump. Particularly telling was Manafort’s recent quote about how all of the campaign messaging is Trump’s call. It struck me that Manafort was doing a bit of the blame-game — the reason for the recent snafus isn’t me, it’s Trump. Which seemed an odd thing for a campaign manager to do, unless he thought he might be on the way out.

Roger Stone.

Roger Stone.

As for Stone — where to begin? Roger Stone is an old-time DC political operative, who can be vicious vicious vicious. It was Stone who a few days ago shared the rumors that U.S. Army Capt. Humayun Khan might have been a secret terrorist sleeper cell of one (he wasn’t). So I’m not sure if Stone would do anything other than reinforce Trump’s worst tendencies — to keep talking about the crazy stuff.

Follow me on Twitter: @aravosis

24 Responses to “Is Manafort soon to be gone from Trump campaign?”

1. DoverBill says:

Is Manafort soon to be gone from Trump campaign?

Dear Thor, I beg you to help this guy retain his position.

Both he and that crazy bitch are soooo much more entertaining than The Donald.

Besides, the olympics can’t last forever… but the stench from it can.

2. whatevah-goze says:

nope, he needs a hand for the cigs. I’d wager he’s buying brandy by the 1.75 liter case tho.

3. quax says:

You indeed summed up the raison d’etre for Fox News.

4. quax says:

If you empty all the prisons of the non-violent drug offenders there’ll be plenty of capacity for all the right wing terrorists.

5. quax says:

Inciting a good old fashioned race war is what he is going for.

6. quax says:

And there I thought it was Manafort who wanted to turn the US into a Ukranian style cluster-fuck. Stone takes the love for civil war even further.

7. GeorgeMokray says:

Distinction without a difference. Manafort and Stone were business partners for years and years. They are old friends who follow the same playbook with only cosmetic variations. If Manafort goes and Stone comes back (as if he really left), the only difference is a louder mouth and whiter hair.

8. Charles Carey says:

I pray the Stone comes back.

9. Baal says:

And of course, he still works for the Russians.

10. Baal says:

Trading Manafort for Stone? That still leaves two other Russian agents in high advisory positions, and of course Stone is fucking insane even by Trumpian standards. No rats will be safe.

11. emjayay says:

Or the guy who murdered the abortion provider doctor. Which most of them deep down thought served him right, because Jesus.

12. Badgerite says:

Those attacks on Mr. Khan are not “gossip”. That’s called a smear. Nixon lives. In the GOP.

13. Doug105 says:

Donald Trump’s campaign manager

Paul Manafort on Paul Ryan: ‘I’m Going to Support Him as a Candidate for President’ Next Week – WATCH http://www.towleroad.com/2016/08/paul-manafort-paul-ryan/

14. Phil in FLL says:

Exactly. That’s why it’s important for people to keep track of statements such as Stone’s statement during his interview with Milo.

Provided, of course, people actually realize who is inciting the domestic terrorism. That’s been the trouble over the last couple of generations: The reich-wing media gins up phony government-hating conspiracies, then expresses false shock and surprise when someone who’s been thoroughly radicalized like Timothy MacVeigh decides to blow up an entire federal building.

16. Phil in FLL says:

Yes, and the United States actually has a history of domestic terrorism campaigns in the form of the Ku Klux Klan. I agree that domestic terrorism would be the preferred route that Stone would take in an attempt to destabilize a new administration under Hillary Clinton. To put it charitably, I don’t think the majority of Americans would be amused. Majority opinion would probably regard terrorists inspired by Stone and Trump as common criminals.

Oh, I’m skeptical, too, for exactly the same reasons you cited. On the other hand, you hit the nail right on the head there with the notion of right wing domestic terrorism. I do think that’s what Stone hopes to create.

18. Phil in FLL says:

I was thinking about that, but historically, coups have always been carried out with at least some help from the military. Trump has zero support or credibility among the top generals in the U.S. military, let alone being able to talk them into supporting a coup. The only other possibility that leaves is some sort of domestic terrorism campaign. However, I don’t think that has ever resulted in the overthrow of a government when the government has solid control of the armed forces and law enforcement authorities. Do you see why I’m skeptical about Stone’s “coup” plans?

And it’s worth remembering that Stone got the boot originally because he wasn’t considered professional enough for a serious campaign, both too extreme in his own bomb-throwing rhetoric but also incapable of reining in Trumpy’s worst impulses and lack of control.

Lewandowski was supposed to be an improvement, but he wasn’t. Then everybody was talking about how Trump was ‘pivoting’ to becoming a serious candidate with the hire of Manafort. Then we learned those two were squabbling and the less serious one of them, Lewandowski, left to become a paid Trump shill on CNN. Now, of course, after the last couple of weeks, we’re learning that Manafort really has no control over Trump either and seems fecklessly helpless to keep Trump from making one horrible mistake after another.

He’s talking about a coup. Ideally without violence, but using the coded fascist language to indicate obvious threats of it.

21. Phil in FLL says:

Here is Roger Stone’s quote from his recent interview with Milo Yiannopoulos from July 29:

“I think we have widespread voter fraud, but the first thing that Trump needs to do is begin talking about it constantly,” Stone said. “He needs to say for example, today would be a perfect example: ‘I am leading in Florida. The polls all show it. If I lose Florida, we will know that there’s voter fraud. If there’s voter fraud, this election will be illegitimate, the election of the winner will be illegitimate, we will have a constitutional crisis, widespread civil disobedience, and the government will no longer be the government.’”

“If you can’t have an honest election, nothing else counts,” he continued. “I think he’s gotta put them on notice that their inauguration will be a rhetorical, and when I mean civil disobedience, not violence, but it will be a bloodbath. The government will be shut down if they attempt to steal this and swear Hillary in. No, we will not stand for it. We will not stand for it.”

I bolded the most interesting sentence. Now could anyone out there translate that bolded sentence into standard English? The bolded sentence seems to be deliberately unintelligible. Mediaite posted an article that contains the full video of Milo interviewing Roger Stone (link here). Roger Stone as Trump’s new campaign manager? This should be fun.

22. halywho99 says:

Manafort can return to work for Putin.

23. Sally says:

Boehner? Brandy in both hands, 24-7.

24. Naja pallida says:

Rats always flee a sinking ship, they’re usually just smarter enough to get out before they’re neck deep. Problem is, he’ll just get another high-paying job somewhere else in the right-wing circle-jerk-o-sphere. Failure is always well rewarded by Republicans.

I just find myself wondering what John Boehner is feeling right now. He’s probably got a cigar in one hand, brandy in the other, laughing at his TV. He’s the guy who sold his Lehman Brothers stock in 2007.