Did Trump let the Mexicans tell him he couldn’t raise Old Glory?

Oh say can’t you see.

Igor Volsky at ThinkProgress was the first to notice that when Trump spoke in Mexico today, alongside the Mexican president, there was no American flag on the stage.

The Mexican flag was prominently there, but the stars and stripes was MIA.

trump-mexico-flag

Trump and the Mexican president speak in Mexico City. The Mexican flag is there, the American flag is not.

Then one of my Twitter followers uncovered this photo of then-presidential-candidate Obama in Israel. And what do you know, the American flag was right behind him.

obama-israel

Excerpt of an image from Getty Images.

A number of Trump supporters claimed that this wasn’t fair. Trump, they said, couldn’t get an American flag because he wasn’t a US government official. Whereas Obama was a US Senator when he visited Israel, thus he got a flag and Trump didn’t.

Good point, I thought.

Then another Twitter follower sent me this image of private citizen Mitt Romney in Israel. And what do you know — our flag was still there!

Excerpt of an AP photo of Romney in Israel.

Excerpt of an AP photo of Romney in Israel.

You might recall how snippy Trump supporters on TV got when they didn’t see enough flags on stage during the first night of the Democratic convention. So, make not mistake — they started this flag race.

So why wasn’t there a flag on the podium in Mexico City today?

It’s possible the Trump people simply didn’t think about it, though that’s insane — when you’re running for president, and are on stage doing a press event with a head of state, you bring a flag.

Or, the Mexicans wouldn’t let Trump raise the flag. Which is a really interesting, and troubling, possibility. The Republican presidential candidate let a foreign government tell him when and where he was allowed to fly the American flag.

Think about that one, and just imagine the uproar had Hillary let a foreign government dictate her use of Old Glory.

And just as importantly, Trump couldn’t even negotiate a flag at a press conference. How is he going to renegotiate NAFTA?

Please support our independent journalism with a generous donation. Most of our operative revenue comes from you, our readers.

Follow me on Twitter & Facebook:

22 Responses to “Did Trump let the Mexicans tell him he couldn’t raise Old Glory?”

1. Nathaniel Botha says:

And you were right – kudos!

2. HKDaniel says:

You’ve failed to remember the prime tenet of the media guide to Scandals, Controversy and Outrage – It’s only a bad thing if a Democrat does it.

3. Nancydconnelly2 says:

Google is paying 97$ per hour! Work for few hours and have longer with friends & family! !ie30t:
    On tuesday I got a great new Land Rover Range Rover from having earned $8752 this last four weeks.. Its the most-financialy rewarding I’ve had.. It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it
    !ie30t:
    ➽➽
    ➽➽;➽➽ http://GoogleFinancialJobsCash580WebChartsGetPay$97Hour ★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★::::::!ie30t:….,……

4. goulo says:

Yes, that’s why you only see the US flag displayed next to an elected President.
    Wait, what?

I cannot find that rule in The American Legion’s Flag Code. Where can your information be found?

6. Mauro Garza says:

The American flag is for an elected President. no for a candidate or member of a political party

7. DCinDC says:

Trump became a patsy in Mexico.

8. Rubyploomis2 says:

Google is paying 97$ per hour! Work for few hours and have longer with friends & family! !ie373t:
    !ie373t:
    ➽➽
    ➽➽;➽➽ http://GoogleFinancialJobsCash613TopChainGetPay$97Hour ★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★::::::!ie373t:….,……

9. ComradeRutherford says:

” just imagine the uproar had Hillary let a foreign government dictate her use of Old Glory.”

I’m pretty sure that no media has picked up on this, or if they did, they are not about to tell us.

10. gratuitous says:

I remember watching the Harlem Globetrotters during the heyday of Meadowlark Lemon. One of his gags was to call “Time Out” in the middle of a play, everyone would stop, then call “Time Back In” and pivot around his man for an easy dunk. I suspect the Trump campaign will now call “Doesn’t matter, no big thing,” everyone will stop, then the next time there’s any flag-related nontroversy to be ginned up, call “Biggest Most Important Thing Ever.” And the popular media will fall for it again.

On a slightly different subject, isn’t it marvelous how popular media outlets like the New York Times will actually re-write their stories to cover for Trump’s embarrassing failures (without ever acknowledging that they changed their story)? It is a wonder to behold.

11. Amwatching2c says:

The flag means nothing to the donald, no dollar signs.

12. Amwatching2c says:

I’ve always said a small hand con man would be very presidential.

13. 2patricius2 says:

And Trump didn’t push the wall in his meeting with the Mexican president, but the president told him they would not pay for the wall….yet when he got back to this country he insisted they were going to pay for the wall? He sounds like a typical bully. Reminds me of Draco Malfoy. A façade of courage, but a cowardt when faced with adversity.

14. Nathaniel Botha says:

You seem to know a lot about LSD – sorry dude I don’t do drugs but if it tickles your fancy then by all means use it. It is drug addicts like you (with porridge brains) that can’t think for themselves, who seeing see not and hearing hear not when truth is glaring you in the face.

15. dommyluc says:

May I have the address of your LSD supplier? That must be some killer Orange Sunshine you are dropping, dickhead.

16. Nathaniel Botha says:

Trump handled himself quite well considering that everyone hated him – I think he could finally see the impact of his comments about Mexico and its people. He got a wake-up call which actually woke him up and he delivered a presidential speech. He is still the better candidate, the less evil candidate. God forbid if Hillary Clinton had the nuclear codes: they’d be sold or (worse case) she’d actually use them.

17. Bethanyadavis says:

Google is paying 97$ per hour! Work for few hours and have longer with friends & family! !ic755t:
    !ic755t:
    ➽➽
    ➽➽;➽➽ http://GoogleFinancialJobsCash1005DirectInsiderGetPay$97Hour ★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★✫★★::::::!ic755t:….,…..

18. crazymonkeylady says:

If I were a Mexican President who knew exactly what Trump’s opinion of Mexicans was, I wouldn’t put up his flag either. He is a huge embarrassment for Americans all over the world.

19. Sally says:

I noticed that right away. I hope someone asks precious Kellyanne tomorrow. And ask how he can say Mexico ‘will pay’ when Nieto says, “No way, Jose?”

20. Quilla says:

I don’t think Trump is running a real campaign anyway.

The Mexicans and the rest of the world have picked up on that.

No flag for you!

21. Baal says:

Here is the narrative I like.

Trump got his ass humiliated by Mexicans and like a coward loser lied about it.

22. LesbianTippingHabits says:

Not to mention Donald Trump’s parsimonious tipping habits. Thank you.