Cory Booker’s GOP opponent Lonegan pushes wife away during concession (video)

There’s an odd video snippet going around of failed US Senate candidate from New Jersey, Steve Lonegan, brusquely pushing his wife’s consoling hand away in the middle of his concession speech.

Lonegan lost to Democrat Cory Booker last night.

Boy, he’s lucky he didn’t do that one during the campaign.

Then again, it’s hard to lose worse than losing.

Steve-Lonegan-wife

CyberDisobedience on Substack | @aravosis | Facebook | Instagram | LinkedIn. John Aravosis is the Executive Editor of AMERICAblog, which he founded in 2004. He has a joint law degree (JD) and masters in Foreign Service from Georgetown; and has worked in the US Senate, World Bank, Children's Defense Fund, the United Nations Development Programme, and as a stringer for the Economist. He is a frequent TV pundit, having appeared on the O'Reilly Factor, Hardball, World News Tonight, Nightline, AM Joy & Reliable Sources, among others. John lives in Washington, DC. .

56 Responses to “Cory Booker’s GOP opponent Lonegan pushes wife away during concession (video)”

1. dave3137 says:

Yes, dear, how DARE you try this wifely effort to comfort me? Damn! A FULL THREE SECONDS before I felt compelled to bat your hand away.

2. pappyvet says:

Don’t care about his wife. Don’t care about his marriage. Glad he lost.

Once is enough to post the link, Don Tallo. You needn’t post the same link several times. Thank you.

4. FUFatherEisenman says:

I see a guy that is basically saying, “get your effing hands off me, I’m trying to give a speech here”.

5. Don Tallo says:

After everyone has been so presumptive and judgmental, will anyone be apologizing? I doubt it.

6. Don Tallo says:

Being so presumptive and judgmental, you probably don’t care. But here is what happened.

7. Don Tallo says:

Listen and learn
    YOU are the one with the problem.

8. dkarma says:

@dontallo:disqus
    You obviously haven’t watched the whole video…she is rubbing his shoulder for a full three seconds before he finally reacts to her rubbing his back and shoulder. This isn’t a situation where a blind man reacts the instant he is touched. He is obviously aware that it is his wife rubbing his shoulder and only reacts after he seemingly becomes irritated at her action. You’re obviously a paid troll, but you’re making yourself look like an idiot.

9. jea says:

Check out a lomger version of the speech.

10. dcinsider says:

Well, if she wasn’t so damned annoying I wouldn’t have to!

I think, if you read my post again, you might have seen my tongue planted firmly in my cheek.

11. karmanot says:

Blind is no excuse for bad manners . He should have extended his hand to Booker. Lonegan is a sore LOSER, a nasty man and blindness is a metaphor perfectly suited to his withered personality.

12. karmanot says:

OK

13. karmanot says:

There, there, pet, pet……See we don’t hate you! Now take a nap.

14. karmanot says:

Oh please…just go away.

15. karmanot says:

No please, anything to avoid looking at the Duchess Romney again!

16. Lordwhorfin says:

Na na na na na na na na . . . WAXMAN!

17. Lordwhorfin says:

Because you’re made of wax . . .

18. Don Tallo says:

Or, may be she understands that her husband is blind.

19. Don Tallo says:

Really? I see a blind guy reacting to being touched while he is trying to deliver a difficult speech.
    Haters will always find some reason to justify their hate.

20. Don Tallo says:

Sure, go ahead and presume the worst in him.
    Haters always find a way to be hateful.

21. sonoitabear says:

“but she’s a dimwit to have made the pet in the first place. has the woman never seen a losing candidate’s wife before?”

Husband acts like a jackass and it’s the wife’s fault… Tell us, “dcinsider”, when did you stop blaming your wife for forcing you to beat her?

22. sonoitabear says:

So, Don, you’re completely convinced that he was unaware that it was his wife standing next to him? Fat chance!!

23. Don Tallo says:

John Aravosis,
    Maybe if you did a little research before jumping to conclusions and writing your opinion (I know, simply too much to ask of a so-called journalist these days), you would have found out that Steve Lonegan is legally blind. But no. You just jump to the conclusion that he was giving his wife the brush-off without considering any other more probably circumstances. I think it is more likely that he was simply reacting to the distraction of being touched while he was trying to make a very difficult speech.
    Haters always find a way to be hateful

24. dcinsider says:

I am inclined to give the guy a pass on this one. he just lost an election, and the last thing he needs is mama bear petting him like a child. His gesture looked cold, I agree, but she’s a dimwit to have made the pet in the first place. has the woman never seen a losing candidate’s wife before? She is to remain stone faced with a hurt expression on her face, pained not for her husband or herself, but for the nation’s loss at not electing this wonderful man.

See Ann Romney for example.

25. rhallnj says:

Lonegan is blind, so you can excuse him not accepting an offered handshake, as he did with Booker. But blindness is not the excuse here.

26. HeartlandLiberal says:

The message in the body language of that one gesture says many volumes about the despicable man the citizens of New Jersey should be thrilled they did NOT elect to the Senate. I really feel sorry for his wife. This has gone viral, and it is absolutely humiliating for her. I can only imagine the pain she must be feeling. Not that her husband cares, of course.

That’s true, I want to be left alone when I’m sick. Basically, I hole up like a cat. My husband on the other hand, wanted to be waited on hand and foot when he was sick.

28. Cletus says:

Of course, facebook doesn’t support them.

29. mirror says:

He probably thinks it’s not manly to accept any comforting pats, but he than totally misses how bad it looks to publicly reject your spouse. Hey, if we can’t at least protect the feelings of our family and friends in public, then what’s the point?

30. glasper9 says:

Oh fer gawds sake. This is a big nothingburger, people. Blogs create the Freeper lynch mob mentality no matter what side of the aisle they come from, don’t they?

31. Bomer says:

The kind of man my mother gravitates toward. She’s on her 4th marriage and he’s just the same as the last three assholes.

32. Bomer says:

I with you there. When I have a migraine it’s best just to leave me alone. Don’t touch me, don’t talk to me, just let me curl up in a dark room until it goes away.

But then I’m like that when I sick anyway. I just want to be left alone for the most part. If I want affection I’ll come to you for it (kind of like a cat).

That’s what it looked like to me, too, and hence why I felt willing to cut him just a little slack. In all likelihood, he’s had people tell him for weeks that he was sure to win.

When you’ve just had your dreams dashed, a gentle touch can be worse than a slap.

I’m sometimes like that, too, when i get a really bad migraine.

Instead, what I did do was to tell her what ways would help me feel better — either a relatively firm shoulder massage or, better still, simply to skritch my back.

35. Naja pallida says:

I’m no body language expert, but watching the actual video, to me he looked like a guy profoundly pissed off, as if he had just found out he had been lied to, and was doing everything he could to hold back from throwing a tantrum. I’m surprised he spoke as long as he did.

My husband use to try to comfort me when I was having a migraine. Those were the only times that I didn’t want his touch.

37. The_Fixer says:

Wow. Very telling. It speaks volumes about the nature of their relationship.

I expect a low-key filing in family court for divorce in the near future, after the hubub has died down a bit.

At least if she was smart, that’s what she’d do.

38. Forty2 says:

I guess she’s used to the brush-off based on her unchanging expression.

39. iamlegion says:

Some of these guys are just grifters, and some really are True Believers – guys who really think they’re the second coming of Jesus, Reagan, and Rand, all rolled into one. And anyone who disagrees with them must be evil, and any time they fail it’s from dishonesty. Dangerous, but sad.

40. LOL I just thought the wife looked like a bit like Laura Roslin.

41. Yeah, it struck me as behavior he’s done a LOT before, it was far too comfortable and knowing.

42. karmanot says:

The kind of man who never leaves a kind word in her path, who humiliates her in public, in fact just the perfect ‘family values’ Republican tea thug.

43. Barbera LaPeters says:

He’s legally blind. He probably thought it was Sarah Palin.

44. keirmeister says:

Laura Roslin is one of the best Sci-Fi characters ever. Laura would NEVER marry a psycho wingnut freak like Steve Lonegan! Oh no!

45. Thom Allen says:

Of course he’s pushing her away – it’s HER fault that he lost. It certainly can’t be HIS fault. Besides, you know that Republicons don’t permit Public Displays of Affection, unless it’s with their mistresses. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1351507/Former-Governor-Mark-Sanford-enjoys-beach-vacation-mistress-cost-marriage-career.html

46. An_American_Karol says:

Classy

47. benb says:

Kinda inappropriate aggressive behavior. Plus, he shows no inhibition to doing in front of people and cameras focused on him. The people did the right thing in rejecting NJ’s version of Ted Cruz.

There’s only one time — aside from being sick and feverish — when my wife’s attempts at affection and comforting are annoying, and that’s when I’m really, really P.O.’d about something or other.

That up there is a deeply disappointed and unhappy man… and it wouldn’t surprise me if those two words didn’t also describe their marriage.

She does look a little like Laura Roslin, huh? lol

50. Then again, it would be tough on any guy’s ego having the President of the 12 Colonies of Kobol as your wife.

51. I know, I really like them. Though many of them are made by others. I did make some of the Marco Rubio ones mself.

52. bkmn says:

Nothing bugs a closeted man more than a girlfriend that is too touchy-feely…

53. cole3244 says:

affection gop style.

54. heimaey says:

I like these gifs you’re doing lately.

I love it when the conservatives show us who they really are right there in front of the cameras.

56. Guest says:

At one point during his speech, when she first approached and put her hand on his shoulder, he leaned away from her. It was only after that, when she continued to rub his shoulder, that he reached up and either pulled her hand down to the side or pushed it away entirely.