Eliz. Warren, 4 other Dem. Senators, join NOH8 photo campaign

US Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) has joined four other Democratic US Senators in being photographed for the pro-gay/pro-tolerance “NOH8” campaign.

NOH8 is the brainchild of photographer Adam Bouska, and was inspired by the Proposition 8 campaign in California that repealed gay marriage in that state. (Prop 8 was subsequently struck down by the courts, and gay couples can now marry in California.)

The campaign consists of celebrities and regular people being photographed with the phrase “NOH8” (i.e., “no hate”) tradtionally written on their cheek, often while having a strip of silver tape across their mouths. Many of the members of Congress opted for a more subtle placement.

The addition of Warren and Mark Udall (D-CO), Carl Levin (D-MI), Ron Wyden (D-OR), Tom Udall (D-NM), brings the number of Senators in the campaign to 12. Over 100 US House members have also joined. That entire group includes only one Republican, U.S. Representative Ileana Ros-Lehtinen of Florida.

Here are the new Senators:

eliz-warren-large

U.S Senator Elizabeth Warren (Massachusetts).

U.S Senator Mark Udall (Colorado).

U.S Senator Mark Udall (Colorado).

U.S Senator Carl Levin (Michigan).

U.S Senator Carl Levin (Michigan).

U.S Senator Ron Wyden (Oregon).

U.S Senator Ron Wyden (Oregon).

U.S Senator Tom Udall (New Mexico).

U.S Senator Tom Udall (New Mexico).

Senator Heinrich, photographed earlier, was one of the few who opted for the full tape and tattoo.

U.S Senator Martin Heinrich (New Mexico).

U.S Senator Martin Heinrich (New Mexico).

17 Responses to “Eliz. Warren, 4 other Dem. Senators, join NOH8 photo campaign”

1. arcadesproject says:

Couldn’t we not hate everybody?

2. rmthunter says:

“Charisma” wasn’t exactly what I was thinking.

3. Richard Harney says:

I have a NOH8 photo from Adam. I don’t know if I can post links here though. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152156364613779&set=pb.508308778.-2207520000.1411892670.&type=3&theater

Yeah . . . Heinrich’s got charisma!

Much as I like Elizabeth Warren, I don’t see how 2016 is her year. 2020, maybe even 2024 will work better for her. There’s too much flack in the air from the T-Partei right now for an Elizabeth Warren to run, unless, of course, she’s fated to be the next Adlai Stevenson disaster. I say no, that’s too horrible for her. She’s worthy but this presidential cycle is not her time.

Yes, but they didn’t even have the votes to do that in 2005. They really don’t have it now. There will be the same folks screaming but even they know it’s a lost cause and are just using it to raise money to line their own pockets.

And I do agree that we can’t take Kennedy’s vote for granted. His reasoning is faulty and while I can cheer when it goes my way, he’s unreliable and illogical and can’t be counted on.

I meet tons of them. They project a lot onto her that she’s never said and never promised. I do like the idea of electing a woman for president. I’d just like one that I didn’t already know was happy to throw me under the bus. Also, a president who wasn’t gung-ho to invade another country under false premises would be nice too. But when I bring any of this up to the pro-Hillary gays I just get blank stares.

8. S1AMER says:

Actually, HIllary waited to come out for marriage equality until after she ceased being Secretary of State. Traditionally, SecStates (D or R) don’t comment on domestic political issues. But, within days of leaving that job, she issued a lengthy video indicated absolute and unequivocal support for marriage equality. (The video, by the way, came about after a conversation with HRC’s Chad Griffin, a political acquaintance since their days back in Arkansas.)

9. rmthunter says:

Don’t kid yourself — if the Supreme Court finds for marriage equality, the push for a federal marriage amendment is going to get very strong and very loud.

10. rmthunter says:

The “gay people” who are so gung-ho for Hillary Clinton are, as far as I can tell, HRC. That’s easy to figure — same philosophy.

11. rmthunter says:

That photo is just perfect for Warren. Sad that she is so adamantly opposed to running for President in 2016, but I think she’s right. Give her a few years, and she’ll be ready (and maybe the country will be, as well).

And I had no idea Martin Heinrich was such a fox.

All of the above are people that ought to be under consideration as potential presidential nominees. Why are gay people so gung-ho for Hillary when she has had to be dragged kicking and screaming to support pro-gay policies that already polled above 50%. She’s no friend of ours. A useful ally if we can’t find anyone else but there are plenty to choose from if people were willing to look. (and ignoring that Democrats have not won with the “usual suspect” in my lifetime. Carter, B. Clinton and Obama were not the odds-on favorites for the nominees even months before the primaries began)

Hillary waited to come out for marriage until after polling was above 50%. A day late and a dollar short, as my mom likes to say. She was certainly against it in 2008 (as was Obama). The best hope for the GOP is that the issue is settled before November 2016 so that moderates won’t be bothered by the party’s vicious and disgusting positions on gay rights.

14. FLL says:

The landscape of the 2016 election is already pretty clear. Hillary’s likely challengers, Warren and Biden, are both more progressive than Hillary on LGBT issues. The Supreme Court justices have said, in their own words, that marriage equality will be decided in June 2015 (more likely) or June 2016 at the very latest. The safest bet is that marriage equality will already be the law of the land by the 2016 election. On top of that, the Republican nominee (most likely Jeb Bush) may very well drop hints that he won’t veto some version of ENDA if it should land on his desk.

Hillary just doesn’t seem like the type to join this “noh8” campaign, but she might be pushed. It’s gotten to the point where Hillary, Jeb Bush or just about any hesitant politician could be pushed on any number of things. The 2016 election will likely be close, and this time around, the candidates need progressive voters a lot more than progressive voters need any particular candidate simply because of how much American society has changed.

15. FLL says:

Carl Levin is a hero. During 2010, he spearheaded the fight in the Senate to get DADT repealed, and he fought tooth and nail until it was repealed in December of 2010. Levin is not seeking reelection this year, but if he were, he would deserve everyone’s vote. Ignore the bitter, self-loathing hate mongers on these comment pages.

16. He is :)

17. S1AMER says:

My favorite is Carl Levin. He’s had a long and distinguished career as a Senator, always as a good Democrat and mostly as a good guy, and I have a fair amount of respect for him.

But, frankly, and politics aside, I think he’s just endearingly cute in this picture.