Sanders refuses again to release taxes, blames wife

Bernie Sanders told CNN’s Jakes Tapper today that he can’t yet release his tax returns, even though his challenger Hillary Clinton has released eight year’s worth of such returns, because Sanders’ wife Jane does their taxes, and she’s been too busy with the campaign to get to them.

Tapper expressed surprise that Sanders, who is running as a “new” kind of candidate who is super transparent about his finances, is hiding his tax returns at such a crucial point in the Democratic primaries.

From CNN:

SANDERS on his tax returns: “You know, we are not – you know, to be very honest with you, you know who does our tax returns? My wife does our tax returns. We have been a little bit busy lately. So, we will get out as much information as we can. There ain’t going to be very much exciting in that. I get a salary from the United States Senate. You know, there’s not going to be anything new in it that there hasn’t – people haven’t seen for the last many years, but we will get it out as soon as we can.

TAPPER But nobody – nobody has seen them at all, I guess, is the point. And whether or not there’s anything exciting in them…

SANDERS No, that is not true. That is – that is not true. Of course, we have released them in the past. Our financial situation, to the best of my knowledge, has not changed very much, but we will get out all of that information as soon as we can.”

Sanders’ “my wife ate my taxes” defense rings a bit hollow, and a bit hypocritical. Sanders routinely hits the Clintons on their finances, in an effort to suggest that they’re corrupt, yet he is now refusing to release his own financial details.

If Sanders’ taxes are so simple, if they haven’t changed since last year, and if his wife does them herself, then all she need do is update a few data points in her tax software — something that would probably take her half an hour — and she’ll have their returns.

Sanders is stalling. He’s afraid to release his returns. The question is why.

sanders-taxes-post

Follow me on Twitter: @aravosis  — Win a pony! (not really)

341 Responses to “Sanders refuses again to release taxes, blames wife”

1. bromeando says:

I’m with Hill

2. Silver_Witch says:

Are you planning to vote for Trump – that is odd. I thought you supported Hillary?

3. bromeando says:

Don’t forget…Trump is right around the corner.

4. Silver_Witch says:

Since you support HRC you should totally vote for her. You seem very versed in her life and her experience. So go for it and I shall vote for who I understand and support.

Sounds fair eh?

5. bromeando says:

Try this link from Democratic Underground…

She became a Democrat around 1968, when she supported antiwar candidate Eugene McCarthy. I suppose she turned against the war like many young people. She also seems to have embraced other leftist views, like many of us did in the 1960’s, judging by the senior thesis she wrote in college. I would not conclude that she still holds the views in the thesis, people mature and change their views. I don’t hold the same views
    as I did 30 years ago. She was working for the impeachment of Richard Nixon when she got out of college.

Any American who can spend eight years in the White House, and then go on to be a senator, and then Secretary of State, and still want to be president, after all of the slings and arrows shot her, has the guts, savvy, and fortitude I want to see in my president.

6. Silver_Witch says:

Your link is not working – and I see nothing on Daily Kos – of which I am a longstanding member, that reflects any speech transcripts from Clinton, I will look deeper.

This is my stance on the TPP

Bernie Sanders @SenSanders

On the TPP, we must take the side of unions and environmental groups who oppose it, not multinational corporations trying to outsource jobs.”

Clinton called it the gold standard and if it is still viable when she takes office I will bet you dollar to donuts she will sign it and approve it.

She is a 1970’s republican pure and simple.

7. bromeando says:

I read she made three speeches to Goldman Sachs. At the time she was a
    private citizen and was paid to speak at functions. That’s how she earned
    money. She made the speeches before she decided to run for President. I don’t understand how she could promise favoritism and pull it off when President without anyone noticing.

Here is one of them.

False! In fact exactly the opposite is true: While that Resolution did indeed authorize President Bush, under strict requirements of the 1973 War Powers Act, to use force, Section 3(b) of the Act also required that sanctions or diplomacy be fully employed before force was used, i.e. force was to be used only as “necessary and appropriate in order to defend the national security of the United States against the continuing threat posed by Iraq,” and to do so only upon the President certifying to Congress that “diplomatic or other peaceful means” would be insufficient to defang Saddam.

Despite those legal conditions, the following year we were at war–and millions of us were astonished that the Bush Administration, running roughshod over Congress’s requirements, hadn’t given more time for U.N. inspectors to complete their job of searching for weapons of mass destruction.

The TPP was still under negotiation when Clinton made the “gold standard” comment. The partners only finalized the deal this year. It’s quite possible the deal looks dramatically different than it did at the early stages of negotiations, when Clinton was at the State Department. The negotiations have been conducted in secret, so it’s hard to assess. Also, as secretary of state, she spoke as a representative of the Obama administration, which was and remains wholeheartedly in favor of the deal.

8. Caleb says:

So Bernie says his wife does the taxes and on the tax statement, it says: “Self Prepared”. So why does he list a $204 DEDUCTION for TAX

PREPARATION FEES?

9. Silver_Witch says:

I did NOT call anyone a liar – my post above does not even imply it. Nothing wrong with a summary – I will take a summary of Hillary’s speeches to the wealthy.

10. Tpgavin says:

I don’t get it. Aren’t the returns from 2013 going backwards already done and filed? He’s releasing 2014. Where is 2013, 2012, 2011.

11. RichardLW says:

Come on! Look at the wording. Please stop ranting. You are:

A. Lying
    B. Pushing false narratives
    C. misrepresenting information

Etc Etc

Why do you continuously lie and misrepresent the truth. Do you lie continuously to your family and friends too?

12. RichardLW says:

Well, of course. He wanted Saddam gone. But if you look at the wording

A. In 1998 Sanders voted in favor of the Iraq Liberation Act of 1998, which said: “It should be the policy of the United States to support efforts to remove the regime headed by Saddam Hussein from power in Iraq and to promote the emergence of a democratic government to replace that regime.”

B. “Congress reaffirms that it should be the policy of the United States to support efforts to remove the regime headed by Saddam Hussein from power in Iraq and to promote the emergence of a democratic government to replace that regime.”

Neither one is an outright invasion.

So he supported the US’s wanting democracy in a country lead by a brutal dictatorship.

That is not voting for an invasion.

So either you are purposely lying, or you are misrepresenting facts. Voting for democracy does not equal voting for full outright invasion that costs 1000’s of US soldiers lives and countless Iraqi lives.

13. HeywoodJa says:

He voted for regime change in Iraq not once, but twice. He’s a massive horse shitter.

Even the rabid haters of the far fringe left take issue with him.

14. HeywoodJa says:

Bernie Sanders voted TWICE for REGIME CHANGE IN IRAQ. Funny how people ignore those votes!!!!

15. HeywoodJa says:

You are correct Cynthia Williams. Silver Witch is not telling the truth.

16. HeywoodJa says:

He did not release his taxes–stop lying and stop calling John a liar. He released a transcript summary with no schedule A or C. He has yet to release ANY tax returns, just a summary that raises more questions than answers.

17. HeywoodJa says:

Bull. Normal people don’t exempt a quarter of their income, and pay 13.4 percent on an income over 200K. He is hiding something, or something’s messed up. Someone who makes as much as he does should hire an accountant–BAD JUDGEMENT BERNIE.

18. James says:

WOW, that is a DAMNING QUOTE. “My wife does our tax returns”. In what sort of insane context does anyone read that as a sexist and false? If the point here is that you guys want to discover some big secret in his taxes, that is likely to be a serious letdown. I live about 30 minutes from his house in Vermont, see him going to farm stands to ask people what they think about law X or Y, and this guy is not hiding a private island or Chelsea loft, he’s just a guy.

19. Cynthia Williams says:

Oh, and it seems Bernie Sanders isn’t giving up his “day job”. Notice the notation under Party. http://www.fec.gov/fecviewer/CandidateCommitteeDetail.do?&tabIndex=1&candidateCommitteeId=S4VT00033

20. Cynthia Williams says:

Hillary Clinton AND Bernie Sanders both have a “Victory Fund” The funds assist the DNC and down-ticket Democratic candidates. Notice which Democrat raised the most. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/democratic-party-fundraising-effort-helps-clinton-find-new-donors-too/2016/02/19/b8535cea-d68f-11e5-b195-2e29a4e13425_story.html

21. Cynthia Williams says:

In fact, Super Pacs DO spend for Bernie Sanders. http://www.politicususa.com/2016/02/01/bernie-sanders-super-pac-money-democratic-rivals.html

22. Cynthia Williams says:

First, Bernie Sanders hasn’t been a “private citizen” for 30+ years counting his time in Congress and as Mayor. Bernie Sanders is also running for President. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander, no?

Have you ever asked yourself if Bernie Sanders is a democrat? While the State of Vermont does not require one to state a political affiliation there is nothing preventing Sanders from registering with the Democratic National party. The only time Sanders checked the box as a Democrat was when he filed to run for the Presidency. hmmm. Sanders has received an endorsement from Tulsi Gabbard. She ran as a Democrat because, in Hawaii, her chances to win as a Republican or an Independent were nil. One might say a case of one DINO supporting another DINO. Ms. Gabbard’s voting record speaks volumes of her agenda as does Sanders’ record.

Yes, Hillary Clinton voted for the Iraq war as did many others. Sanders’ record shows he has opposed literally hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of bills, he was bound to get one of those votes right sooner or later, no?

As for Henry Kissinger – NOT one of my favorite people – when one considers that the current Middle East situation as well as the aggressiveness of ISIS can be likened in many ways to the debacle that was the Viet Nam era, well frankly, in my opinion, it would be foolhardy NOT to query the man who played such a huge role at the time to, perhaps, avoid making the same mistakes. Asking for advice and TAKING action on said advice are two different things, no?

The TPP. Yes, Hillary Clinton did characterize it as “the gold standard” PRIOR to its completion. Once the treaty document was complete, she changed her mind. Would you prefer she was as hide-bound as Bernie Sanders is?

You might take a look at this commentary. All factual statements come with citations. http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/9/30/1426243/-Friends-don-t-let-friends-vote-for-Bernie-Sanders

23. Teddy27 says:

Bernie has his wife, Jane’s, do his taxes? All his assets are in her name?!?! I would like to see both of their tax reports for past 8 years— After reading the above blog I now believe Bernie and Jane Sanders are frauds!!!! Sorry Berne you lost my vote!!!!
    Read this: http://www.aim.org/aim-column/financial-scandals-follow-socialist-millionaire-sanders/

24. Teddy27 says:

25. Cynthia Williams says:

Romney was a presidential candidate when he made that speech, or did that slip your notice?

26. Voodoo Chile says:

I bet you cared a lot about speech transcripts when Mitt Romney was telling a room full of oligarchs how 47% of Americans are deadbeat losers….

27. Silver_Witch says:

I believe you are right. And I agree he should release his tax records. Just as much as I believe Hillary should release her speech transcripts – its just me though. I emailed Bernie and told him the same.

28. Silver_Witch says:

I never claimed Bernie was a private citizen – it is you that claimed Hillary was. Both should release their speeches and both should release their tax records.

Daily Kos is for Hillary – even has rules about posting blogs about Bernie – did you know that? I have been a member of Daily Kos for YEARS….and stopped going their because of their bias – which they are entitled to for sure.

It is just a matter of preference. I can’t support a woman that is willing to trade women’s healthcare with the Republicans to open discussions with them about other thanks.

Thanks so much for your fine post – it has been fun

29. Cynthia Williams says:

Unless I am much mistaken, that information comes from an unsigned summary and NOT from his official tax returns.

30. Cynthia Williams says:

Notice that those are not signed. Was that what he really sent in? Hmmm

31. Cynthia Williams says:

First, Bernie Sanders has been in Congress for 24 years – rather hard to call him a “private citizen”. See how silly your argument is? Bernie Sanders is also running for President and, as such, we have every right to hear what he has said to any organizations.

I am very well aware of both Hillary Clinton’s record and that of Bernard Sanders. I am also well aware that Clinton has been raising monies which directly benefit the DNC and “down ticket” Democrats to the tune of approximately $6.1 million. I also listened to Mrs. Sanders state that Bernie Sanders has sent out “fund raising” letters over the years but, at the present time, is concentrating on his campaign. Mrs. Sanders said he will raise money for – and these are her words – “the right candidates”. It was much like Bernie Sanders own statement when he was asked about fund raising for the DNC and “down-ticket” Democrats. That is to say “We’ll see.” Hmmmm.

You are aware that Bernard Sanders is NOT a registered Democrat are you not? Yes, Vermont does not require a declaration of party affiliation, but that does not prevent him from registering as a member of the Democratic party. For his entire career, Bernie Sanders has declared himself to be an “Independent”. He did state on him FEC filing that he was “Democrat”. Rather a convenient thing to do, in my opinion, but not an unusual tactic for a politician to do. Tulsi Gabbard, one of Mr. Sanders’ endorsers, ran in Hawaii as a Democrat since, had she run as a Republican or an Independent, her chances of winning were nil. You can check HER voting record and determine her “leanings”. One might go so far as to say it is one DINO supporting another DINO.

As for the TPP, you are correct that Hilary Clinton referred to it as the “gold standard”, however, you conveniently leave out the fact that, once the treaty was fully disclosed, she changed her mind. As for Henry Kissinger, while definitely NOT one of my favorite people – I am old enough to be well aware of Kissinger’s policies and what happened due to some of them – the mere fact that Hillary Clinton asked for Kissinger’s input does not automatically presume she accepted his advice. Frankly, considering the times in which Kissinger was involved which, in my estimation, closely mirror the current Middle East situation both politically and militarily, it would be foolhardy NOT to pick the minds of those who dealt with the Viet Nam era debacle to, perhaps, avoid the same errors.

Bernie Sanders has opposed hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of bills, so no surprise he might actually get it “right” once in a blue moon. You might want to check how many times he got it “wrong”.

I know how good “free college” must sound, especially to young people and college students and those who are weighted down by student loan debt, but to get that passed by Congress? Hmmm. Just as an aside, there is always the option of Germany. http://www.topuniversities.com/forum/studying-abroad-general-discussion/free-tuition-universities-germany-cost-living-visa-application-admission-deadline

Universal Healthcare free for all. Yes, wonderful and it should be a right, of course. However, again, the trick is to get that through Congress while NOT gutting the current system until and unless one can actually get a new law passed. The numbers just don’t add up – at least as far as has been presented to date.

Break up the “big banks” ! A great rallying cry, assuredly. Yet, precisely what IS a “big bank”? Oh, yes, I’ve taken the time to read each and every one of Bernie Sanders “white papers” and policies and have have also read critiques by dozens of economists from across the spectrum with respect to Sanders plans. It basically boils down to a lot of hype with not a whole lot of implementable substance.

You might take a peek at the following. All factual statements in the article can be verified. http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/9/30/1426243/-Friends-don-t-let-friends-vote-for-Bernie-Sanders

I will give you my bottom line. Up until just a few days ago I would have had NO problem at all voting for either Hillary Clinton OR Bernie Sanders. NONE. However, come November, IF Bernie Sanders is the nominee, I shall, with great reluctance, vote for him since there is NO Republican worthy to hold the Presidency. I will NOT sit home out of juvenile pique NOR will I do a “write in” vote as many Sanders supports have said the will do because, as Hillary Clinton stated “Bernie Sanders is better than Trump or Cruz”.

32. Silver_Witch says:

First, what do the taxes of a private citizen have to do with anything. See how silly your statement is. Hillary Clinton is not a “private citizen” she is running for President and as such we have a right to hear what she says to the rich. If there is nothing to hide then she should release them.

Bernie should also release his taxes and I have writtne him and said the saem.

Yes I am aware of Senator Sanders record…are you aware that Hillary Clinton voted for the Iraq war, has stated that she asks advice from Henry Kissinger regarding foreign policy, that Hillary called the TPP the “gold standard” of trade policies, that she had to “evolve” to accept SMS…and much much more?

33. Cynthia Williams says:

First, what do transcripts of speeches made by a private citizen have to do with anything? Second, what’s good for the goose is good for the gander, Sanders should release all transcripts of every speech he ever made back to the 1960’s, no? Third: Sanders saying his wife does their taxes and using that as some kind of excuse …hmmm. Fourth, Are you aware that in his 20+ years in the U.S. House and Senate he has only managed to have 4 bills that he wrote/sponsored passed into law; two were naming Post Offices? That is not what I would characterize as a “doer”. Fifth, his recent attacks – yes attacks – on Hilary Clinton which he “doubled down” on were not based on what SHE said. In addition, well here’s his recent interview: http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/transcript-bernie-sanders-meets-news-editorial-board-article-1.2588306

I base my decisions on what comes out of the mouth of a candidate as well as their records both political – if applicable – and social. What has come out of Bernie Sanders’ mouth of late is more than disappointing as is delving into his political records as is delving into his actions as an adult.

P.S. Silver_Witch Google and https://www.govtrack.us/ are your friend.

34. karen says:

That’s not a requirement. Do you notice that Bernie no longer asks her to release her speeches?? That’s because he does not want to release his tax returns. Probably he has investments in wall street?

35. Josiah White says:

Or it seaks to tactics

36. laineypc says:

I am not worried about what’s in them, i am sure he is completely virtuous. To me it speaks to the fact that he isn’t really ready. He maybe should have seen this coming. If you pay any attention at all to presidential elections, the release of the tax return is a time honored ritual and so completely predictable that if you can’t produce on request it smacks of being disorganized and small time.

37. Silver_Witch says:

I am probably old enough to to be your mother. Boy picas Hillary supporter nothing good to say about your candidate and YOU call people names. Cute

38. Ray Jones says:

It clearly hasn’t show the slightest ability to explain his core policy. His recent daily news interview is as shameful as Trumps to the Washington Post. I am afraid to allow either to even drive my car, the nation no way? It just comes now to intelligence…sorry.

39. ADDISON GAINOUS says:

No Bernie is NOT transparent. The point I was making had to do with the fact that we are inundated with syrup soaked versions of Bernie is pure, Bernie is a unicorn, Bernie is rainbows and puppy dog tails, but the simple fact is that the guy is a passive aggressive a-hole that can’t seem to answer any question which does not first preface him as the next messiah regardless of his inability to answer the damn thing.

40. blue says:

Lol. So cute you are trying to defend him. Go ahead, you are too young to realize what a summary and actual tax returns mean. But what can we expect from Bernie supporters ? Idiots anyways.

41. blue says:

Release your returns ! She already did ! What are you hiding ? You hypocritical idiot!

42. Silver_Witch says:

<|;o)

43. PDQ says:

Goodness! Are you a victim of homeschooling?

44. kladinvt says:

So how much is HillaryInc paying you to write these daily negative “tales” about Bernie?

45. Normastedrow says:

“my .room mate Is getting 98$. HOURLY. on the internet.”….

two days ago new Mc.Laren. F1 bought after earning 18,512$,,,this was my previous month’s paycheck ,and-a little over, 17k$ Last month ..3-5 h/r of work a days ..with extra open doors & weekly. paychecks.. it’s realy the easiest work I have ever Do.. I Joined This 7 months ago and now making over 87$, p/h.Learn. More right Hereo!567➤➤➤➤➤ http://GlobalSuperEmploymentVacanciesReportsJobs/GetPaid/98$hourly…. .❖:❦:❖:❦:❖:❦:❖:❦:❖:❦:❖:❦:❖:❦:❖:❦:❖:❦:❖:❦:❖:❦:❖:❦:❖:❦:❖:❦:❖:❦:❖:❦:❖:❦:❖:❦:❖:❦:❖:❦:::::o!567………../

46. Normastedrow says:

“my .room mate Is getting 98$. HOURLY. on the internet.”….

47. ray jones says:

No, no he did not accept the money but went to the parties, the democrats then help him fund his campaign see clean hands!!

48. ray jones says:

Of course all the charities she has been supporting are not upset with her speech money!! Millions of dollars going to charities what a horrible person…according to Bernie’s summary page he gave what about 1 percent of his ‘salary to charity’! That’s interesting!

49. ray jones says:

For the 100th time that is Summary of taxes not actual detailed copy of his return. Note he did not ‘say when Cnn’s Tapper’ questioned him about it well I have released by 2014 returns already’. Because he know and his campaigns knows that not an actual return it’s couple of pages from actual return.

50. Demosthenes says:

Trying to make you feel young!

51. hiker_sf says:

He hasn’t released all of them, but here is his return from 2014:

52. hiker_sf says:

FYI, political hackery relies upon obfuscating the truth.

53. Linda Be says:

And how about Bernie owing up to these things???

54. Linda Be says:

Yes, he has spent years supporting wars. Iraq and Afghanistan. He voted to dump toxic crap on poor Mexicans.

55. Silver_Witch says:

Oligarchs!

56. Silver_Witch says:

Thanks Demosthenes – no one has call me a little kid in 50 years! Much appreciated.

57. Silver_Witch says:

Links to this alleged articles please.

58. Silver_Witch says:

Did you even read the article – of course not…Just repeating bullshite.

59. Silver_Witch says:

Taxes for Transcripts – sounds fair to me. Bernie has released all his transcripts, so it is quid pro quo.

60. Darren Madkins says:

Wish I could shove a load of horse dung down Fidel Sanders crooked stank mouth next time he yells.

61. Darren Madkins says:

Good for the Clintons wish I could go from broke to multi millionaire status overnight just shows good business sense. Unlike that commie bastard Fidel Sanders

62. Darren Madkins says:

Screw some dumb Goldman sachs speeches I’m glad she took there money just proves she’s smart as a whip not dumb as drum like Fidel Sanders commie Bastard.

I have a real problem with someone with no history with us (or apparently with anyone) saying that to a regular commenter.

64. Darren Madkins says:

Hell good for them I wish some dummy would pay me 5.8 million fat ones to hear me stutter.Money talks purity sucks donkey balls.

65. Darren Madkins says:

Screw some stupid transcripts so what she made a paid speech. Hell I’d make a paid speech kissing the KKK rear end if they want to give me millions of dollars to do it and I’m black.So Hillary taking millions from the evil Oligarchs lol isn’t dumb it’s dang financially smart on her part I’d do it and so would all these dummies railing about some supposed oligarch whatever that is.

66. Darren Madkins says:

Your God Bernie sanders is a crook that’s why his taxes matter.

67. Darren Madkins says:

Yeah we better start a Bernie suicide hotline if Bernie winds up being just another crooked politician the suicide rate is gonna go sky hi.

68. Darren Madkins says:

Screw the transcripts to some stupid speeches and if I here one more person say the Oligarchs I’m going to scream.

69. Darren Madkins says:

Then don’t let the door hit you on your way out.I finally found a site that doesn’t kiss Bernies butt and I’m glad to be here.

70. ADDISON GAINOUS says:

Here we go again…

71. ADDISON GAINOUS says:

Because Mr Purity Unicorn told him so…ROFL.

72. ADDISON GAINOUS says:

You are making great sense. Keep it up.

73. ADDISON GAINOUS says:

I’m with you. You do not owe him anything, but he owes us 8 years worth and he should have had them ready like she did. End of story.

74. ADDISON GAINOUS says:

Can you just hear the squealing if Hillary gave that excuse. OMG you could hear the BernieBots screaming from coast to coast. Also, Amen to what you said.

I don’t know. That’s getting really nasty!

You forgot to say “Aren’t you special?” as well. ;)

77. Dan Vuic says:

Sorry — that article is dated from the summer of 2015 — and, as David Cay Johnston has pointed out, the SUMMARY 1040 Form is NOT the same as the FULL return.

Moreover, Sanders, when pressed by Tapper on Sunday claimed that Tapper was wrong when he asserted that he has never released his full tax returns — something that NO ONE can seem to confirm and that David Cay Johnston has characterized as ‘deceptive’ on the part of Sanders. And let’s not confuse Johnston with a right-wing hack being funded by some cloaked billionaire, as was the case with the Clintons.

If you didn’t resist the impulse to start believing all sorts of shit about Hillary Clinton based on the persistent manufactured right-wing smears which never revealed a single incident of wrong-doing, but, by virtue of the vast number of the allegations have tainted her character even in progressive circles — and is now being cravenly exploited by the Sanders campaign as it insinuates corruption in the absence of any evidence — I have no sympathy for you or your candidate.

Bernie Sanders MUST release his full tax return and stop stalling.

78. francesca_csrwire says:

As someone who struggles with my own taxes, I can relate that it might take a little while to get your taxes out to the public. Jane and Bernie have been a tad busy lately, so, unless you’re a Hillary troll, just simmer down and wait a little. Don’t make mountains out of molehills. On the other hand, I think the American people have more at stake in learning what are in the transcripts of Hillary’s speeches to the too-big-to-fail Wall Street banks, since that bears directly on the financial well being of millions of middle class Americans who have everything to lose in another financial crash due to the failure to regulate the banks.

79. rhqjr says:

You are so full of S^%T

80. Demosthenes says:

It is no coincedence that his biggest supporters are literally children. My 18 and 20 kids voted for “Bernie” in our state prImary, despite me telling them some of the points you make so forcefully here.

81. HeywoodJa says:

And where did that money go? To help poor people in destitute living conditions.

Sanders paid 13.8% in taxes and exempted MORE THAN a quarter of his total salary.

Release the Schedule A, BERNIE!!!

82. Tim says:

Trump publishes less rape fantasies than Sanders… I suppose. /s

83. HeywoodJa says:

FIFTY SIX THOUSAND BUCKS??? YEP–that IS a scandal. Something weird is going on — probably with all those funds he invests in that have “BANKSTER” connections. Hypocrite, thy name is Bernie The Bankster!!

84. HeywoodJa says:

You don’t have a “right” to see shit.

85. HeywoodJa says:

I always said that but now I am wavering. I may just sit it out, and wait for 2020 if he gets the nod. I think he’s a MORON, and every day, his stupidity is on full display with his cheap sexist commentaries and attacks. Blaming his wife for not putting out the taxes HE SIGNED? Brotha, PLEASE.

86. HeywoodJa says:

Democrats haven’t made a big deal of his perverted writings–but they should. He’s a twisted guy, who thinks women cause their own lady-parts cancer by not being sexual libertines. Who wants a sick moron like that in the WH?

87. HeywoodJa says:

You got that right. When the “rape fantasy/let little kids touch each other’s privates/let teen girls screw their boyfriends in your home, even if they’re under-aged” essays weren’t enough, or the “Women cause their own cancer by not giving up the goods to guys like me” essay didn’t completely destroy his credibility, you have to wonder why fellow Democrats are treating him so kindly. We don’t like to trash talk our own, but he is shoveling lies about HRC and he deserves a little push back. I think it’s time to call a spade a f-cking shovel and hit him over the head with it. This guy is a sick puppy who never cast a vote until he voted FOR HIMSELF. He never had a real job with a regular paycheck until he was elected Mayor of that small town that masquerades as a city in northern New England. Time to start pointing out his bullshit, and time to just push the Bernie Train off the tracks to a side yard.

88. HeywoodJa says:

Because he’s got sketchy investments in piggy capitalist corporations, that’s why. He’s a bullshitter and blaming his wife is just beyond the pale.

89. HeywoodJa says:

I’m Jane’s age more or less, and I can produce ten years of taxes with just a few clicks. HE IS HIDING SOMETHING–the guy is a damn HYPOCRITE and I’m sick of him.

90. rickinwa says:

Here’s a list of some of Sanders’ accomplishments. “…with Sanders we have the fusion of strong principles and the ability to
    forge odd bedfellow coalitions that accomplish historic things…” http://www.alternet.org/election-2016/bernie-gets-it-done-sanders-record-pushing-through-major-reforms-will-surprise-you

91. Phil in FLL says:

The phrase “Infighting is fun” is a tag that the blog owner of JoeMyGod uses to tag stories about conservative Republicans, like Cruz and Trump, going after each other. Your commenter, “British Petroleum,” has simply rewritten JoeMyGod’s tag from the Republican viewpoint.

I don’t envy the hard work you have to go through reading all these comments, but your efforts are heroic.

92. arleeda says:

I am 78 and also do my own taxes, which are somewhat complicated due to various sources of income and deductions. I can produce the last 5 years by tomorrow.

93. momatad says:

I said I could….If I, a member of the general public CAN, I see no reason why someone who knows from past history, this is a requirement, can’t provide them. I’m not asking YOU for anything, so I owe you NOTHING, not my tax records, not my pay stubs, etc. Bernie is asking the people to ‘trust’ him with the highest position in the country, he SHOULD be more than willing to prove he is worthy of that trust. Hiding taxes isn’t it.

94. Truth Hertz says:

#getthatbernlookedat

95. momatad says:

Using his own words as evidence…..stalling tactics is what he is using. I copied ONE line from the blog, Bernie’s words. HIS words……..that he ‘hasn’t gotten around to it’….if the IRS came knocking and you said ‘I just haven’t gotten around to it’….you’d be before a judge, not given a pass.

96. momatad says:

will feel just fine when the #thebernisextinguished

97. heimaey says:

I mean she didn’t know the young woman was from Greenpeace. She was asked a question and got nasty – not a good look for a president, especially one trying to woo young people.

98. Fid says:

. RELEASE YOUR TAX RETURNS SANDERS. WHAT ARE YOU HIDING?

99. heimaey says:

You just said you’d do it no problem easy – then do it.

100. nofauxnews says:

No, that money did not go to the Clinton foundation, it went into her pocket. I have no problem with Clinton or the Clinton Foundation, I simple question her judgment considering she knew she would be a presidential candidate, and this personal income would be an issue.

I think it is foolish for Sanders not to have released his taxes for whatever reason, but compared to someone who has made tens of millions in the past decade, I am sure they will be very boring.

101. momatad says:

I’m not running for PUBLIC office.

102. momatad says:

Greenpeace, the most violent of all ‘peaceful protesters’…….she returned fire. Oh, and she did yell about Bernie’s negative ads…….said she’s sick of them. So, she should be drummed out of the race. He yells when questioned so he doesn’t have to answer. BIG difference.

103. momatad says:

At the presentation I went to on the Clinton Foundation, one of the handouts was the income/outlay of the foundation. Every donation was documented and every expenditure was as well. This foundation is VERY transparent.

Well, bless your heart.

105. momatad says:

apparently not. Not a big difference between him and Trump then is there?

106. heimaey says:

I seem to recall her pointing and yelling at a young person from greenpeace simply questioning her. So you know…think about that

107. momatad says:

has said he ‘will release’ them, hasn’t done it yet……if there is nothing to hide, do it now.

108. doug dash says:

I like both Sanders and Clinton. I think we have an excellent chance of winning in November with either one of them.

109. momatad says:

her and her little headband too………cackle cackle cackle……(snort). She’s right on point. Want to know when she’s made a direct hit? Bernie starts yelling and waving his finger. Yelling a finger waving does not a president make.

110. heimaey says:

So give them to me. Let’s see ’em!

111. momatad says:

the money goes into her husband’s foundation, not her campaign coffers. They have released their budgets and spending spread sheets…..and TAX records for this foundation (Charity Watch has it all). So, where are Bernie’s taxes again?

112. momatad says:

Money she gets for speeches goes into the Clinton Foundation. I went to seminar on what the Foundation does and is all about. Good stuff. So, if a lot of monied blowhards want to pay her big bucks to hear her speak and the money puts in a well, educates a child or feeds a family……heaven forbid, let’s shoot her now over that, because Bernie’s supporters are butthurt over it.

113. momatad says:

if he’s so clean, where are the taxes? I can give you seven years of my taxes in a few hours (gotta go to the files and pull them out, old school paper, you know)…..why, when he knew he would be up for public scrutiny does he say ‘nope, don’t have ’em, can’t give them to you’ and get away with it. Something quite opaque in transparency land.

114. PDQ says:

Let me clarify for you: I agree that Sanders should release his taxes and I have no doubt that he will.

I ALSO feel that Clinton should release those transcripts, however I DON’T think that she will. You want to talk about something that “…they don’t want us to see”? Hillary’s got something that she doesn’t want us to see and your numerous comments on this blog attempting to shift attention to something else will not change my mind on that.

I’m still looking for John’s article that calls for Hillary to release them…….I’m just SURE it’s here somewhere! After all, as AmericaBlog’s slogan says, “A Great Nation Deserves the Truth”. Right John?

115. momatad says:

in Bernieworld is something is amiss, it must be someone else’s fault, not Bernie’s. His wife was convenient for this one.

116. momatad says:

probably why he won’t release them….it’s ‘none of that woman’s (Hillary) damn business’……

117. momatad says:

when? When he is dead and gone and no one can question him? What’s he hiding?

118. heimaey says:

Hold your breath, please!

119. deblen says:

Well bless your heart.
    thanks for reading my posts so carefully!

120. keirmeister says:

Hey now you’re talkin’! :)

121. pollysi says:

Blame the woman. I thought Bernie was better than this.

Not if you have to read all of it.

Nine comments in less than half a hour, and they all say essentially the same thing. I think we got the point.

124. Bill_Perdue says:

Infighting is fun.

125. deblen says:

The whole transcripts thing was a pre-emptive strike by the Sanders campaign. They knew there was something to hide in his taxes, and they wouldn’t be able to release them. So now when someone asks where are Sanders’ taxes their response is where are the transcripts.

They’re hiding something.

126. pattyrat says:

led by Bernie himself!

127. deblen says:

Why did he blame this on Jane? This is Bernie Sanders problem. Don’t get distracted by his trying to blame it on his wife.

128. deblen says:

$56,000 in deductions on an income of $200,000 is not nothing. Why have they not released the Schedule A to show the itemized deductions?
    And why did he throw Jane under the bus for this? He should take responsibility and not throw his wife under the bus. Again shows his disrespect for women. #dontstandnexttome

129. John Limbo says:

Sounds like he’s stalling. Wonder why?

130. deblen says:

I think an itemized listing of $56,000 in deductions, 28% of their income, would be very interesting.

131. deblen says:

Here it is again.
    See how this works?

The Sanders campaign pre-emptively introduced this “release the transcripts” so they could use it now; knowing that they did not want to release his full taxes. There’s something in Sanders’ taxes that they don’t want us to see.
    $56,000 in deductions?? Where’s the itemized Schedule A?

132. deblen says:

Jane certainly has good company under the Sanders bus: Gloria Steinem, Madeleine Albright, John Lewis.

Did you see the clip of Sanders giving a speech and grumbling to his wife, “don’t stand next to me” blech

133. deblen says:

See there it is again.
    The Sanders campaign planted this seed “release the transcripts” knowing that Sanders had something to hide in his taxes.
    So that every time someone asks to see his taxes they can throw this back as a distraction.

Very suspicious and underhanded.

134. deblen says:

$56,000 in undisclosed itemized deductions?! That’s more than a quarter of his income. Why did they not release a Schedule A that would show what these deductions are?
    He’s hiding something on the Schedule A

135. deblen says:

At this point, I am very, very suspicious that the Sanders campaign raised this call to “release the transcripts” pre-emptively knowing there was something about Sanders taxes they wanted to hide.
    So that every time someone asks Sanders to release his taxes he can say: she should release the transcripts.

this all seems very suspicious.

136. pattyrat says:

…then why didn’t he run as an Independent? He has spoken against the Dems many times in the past, yet he decides to run as one. How misleading and controversial and hypocritical is that? His chance for a revolution, a REAL political revolution, would have been to run in his own party and not split the Dems. I’m glad to see an intelligent blog such as this rumble around for the evaded truth about his finances, and indeed, his real reason for being in this race. I think it is an ego driven tirade where he has a bigger stage from which to hear himself yell and point his finger. Read up on the psychology of Bernie Sanders body language – eye full right there! And pay close attention to how he ignores or pushes around his wife!!!

137. pattyrat says:

Absolutely the truth, Demosthenes! She is the most vetted candidate for president that has come along in my lifetime, and I wasn’t born yesterday!

138. ray jones says:

I will be waiting impatiently waiting!! Bernie is not my first or 5th choice as President but this is not good!! I will vote for him if he is the nominee If he ends

139. ray jones says:

I have never smoked a joint in my life. And of course it doesn’t make sense to you? Why is that…again explain to me how you know Bernie is not a multi millionaire?

140. heimaey says:

You seem mad and all worked up. Maybe you should smoke a joint and cool off because you’re not making sense.

141. Demosthenes says:

There is a reason the GOP pumps up Sen. Sanders. He has a closet brimming with skeletons. In contrast, Secy. Clinton — and all her faults — are well known.

142. ray jones says:

You have no idea if Sanders is multi-millionaire !! Bernie has been in Congress for how many years? His Wife making a similar salary for many years? You have no idea about his investments or property ownership. Of course you can’t deal with questions without tossing in Iraq War, well let me add to the insanity and say Bernie supported the NRA and voted against the Brady Bill is any blood on his hands? How about his support for military contractors in Vermont? Oh that doesn’t count…you can’t keep running because you don’t like the conversation.

143. heimaey says:

I don’t believe anyone is that righteous – and this is a non-issue because he’ll release them.

144. heimaey says:

What nonsense? He’s not a multi-millionare, hasn’t spent years supporting wars in Iraq and hasn’t fed banana republics that have killed tens of thousands. She’s got her hands quite dirty.

145. ArtRocks says:

Why should he get a free pass..SHOW US YOUR TAXES BUD!! STOP STALLING!

146. ray jones says:

Because you believe in the tooth fairy and you want Bernie to be ‘righteous’ so don’t need bernie to be perfect only for my selfish reasons I don’t want Trump, Cruz or any RNC near the WH for decades to come! But playing that’s not an issue, when the corner stone of your campaign is honesty/too much money, and being transparent.. yet you are not release Taxes for a period of time. Again Accountants are not that costly!!

147. Opinionated Cat Lover says:

As a Sanders supporter, I say this is a red herring. One of the biggest problems in politics is using someone else’s bad behavior as cover for your own bad behavior.

148. ray jones says:

Yet here we are…as democrat if Bernie is nominated I am going to vote for him. But you can’t be serious with this nonsense!!

149. heimaey says:

Actually it’s the opposite problem – he’s transparent, he has very little to hide, if anything.

150. keirmeister says:

I’m a big fan of Bernie Sanders, but this does illustrate a problem: vetting.

Hillary Clinton has been vetted to a nauseating degree, Sanders not so much. If Sanders were to secure the Democratic nomination, I really hope a full vetting of his background doesn’t bring up something that would tarnish him. Considering the image he has in liberal politics, it requires him to be “pure” for the most part – and frankly, I want Sander’s image to stay that way.

151. heimaey says:

I’m not really concerned since he said he’ll release them and is not saying he won’t. Unlike Hillary who will not release WS transcripts – furthermore, he doesn’t have a lot of money like Hillary – he’s not a multi-milionaire, and he doesn’t have a team of people looking at his taxes and spending hours polishing them so they can hide money over seas, so you know I’m giving him a little extra time on this.

152. Butch1 says:

Many people watch cable news.

153. ray jones says:

I don’t disagree with your over points I think all are true. Just as democrat it does appear like covering up. The only difference is HC is not screaming for Bernie to release his tax information like he stated regarding her speeches:, outsiders, some reporters and maybe her supporters are in fact asking. It really is just strange how this has never been a priority of Bernie’s campaign. Given the fact that honestly I read about this before he ever released his summary pages in 2015 ? Some people were suggesting that he would never release his full information because he doesn’t want to have to explain the numbers.

154. ray jones says:

You realize there are many, many members or Congress who get reelected and are asleep at the wheel. I don’t think that’s Bernie’s issue but I think the people of Vermont love him that has not a thing to do with being effective leader.

155. ray jones says:

Again the Kochs have been running pro Bernie ads for almost a year and anti Hillary ads for that same period their not hiding in the shadows. Neither is Karl Rove has been doing the same thing, it’s an open secret!

I’m going to refrain from speculating about what might be in documents no one has seen yet. But since we Democrats demanded (to no avail) that Romney release his tax returns we should demand no less from our own candidates. As I said earlier, it’s not like he was surprised by this request. He knew this was coming and he should have had whoever would have the copies ready to go from the initial planning stages of his campaign. I do understand why people would speculate that he’s hiding something significant because there is no other reason not to release them. And I also said the same about Hillary’s speeches to the big banks. Just release the material and defend what’s in it (if that’s even necessary). These games are tiresome and one of many reasons that so many Americans think all politicians are crooks and therefore don’t bother to vote. We should demand better across the board. It’s not like any of them are going to volunteer to provide more accountability.

157. ray jones says:

So true it really is not a good look for Bernie not matter what happens going forward this issue is not going away. And doing the dance oh my wife does our taxes then your old taxes are done. Accountants are not that expensive for a public servant to use that is crazy. He might not have done anything wrong but it looks bad. And then to not just hire a couple of accountants and lawyers to release years of your return? We are busy? Who is not?

158. ray jones says:

Keep acting like this doesn’t matter! Shell game politics from Bernie…wow. Again this tax situation is not going away. In fairness to Bernie, HC is the only candidate in the race in 12′ to release clear detailed tax returns. Integrity is not just about not doing anything wrong it’s also about appearance of doing anything wrong. Recent History shows up that this is not an area that anyone show be playing around with…keep bring up HC transcripts and not presenting detailed tax returns see what happens. Agnew of the 70’s?

159. ray jones says:

I would still vote for HC or Bernie over the crazies on the right! But you can’t make this stuff up…Bernie and his team should know better!

160. ray jones says:

His taxes from 2013.2012,2011,2010,2009, etc… are done. The problem is not only does it look dishonest. What makes it look so bad is that this the stuff that Bernie rails against in general. There has been inside DC rumors about this stuff, truth or not his attempt last year of releasing summary pages is not transparency. You can’t preach I am the open and honest candidate then act just like what you are ‘preaching against’! Say what you want about HC she has decades of detailed tax returns which go back to the 70’s. But if the shoe was on the other foot, we know what would be said by Bernie! There is nothing special in his returns is political speak!

161. ray jones says:

This is why people are upset with establishment politics…and Bernie is doing the same thing. Keep avoiding,pointing fingers…looks like the same dance that you complain about HC doing. How does it feel to look in the same mirror and see hypocrisy?

162. Bob says:

WaPo has his 2014 tax return. It’s nothing, middle class income. No wonder I don’t come to this stupid website anymore.

163. heimaey says:

He said he’s going to release them. So not sure why he’s so dishonest.

164. kladinvt says:

Actually, this “article” is trying to paint Bernie as corrupt as HillaryInc. So where are those transcripts of her multi-million dollar speeches to the Oligarchs of Wall St? We’re all still waiting to see what she did or did not promise them.

165. kladinvt says:

And what of the transcripts from Hillary’s multi-million dollar speeches to the Oligarchs of Wall St? What is she hiding?

166. kladinvt says:

OK, and when is Hillary releasing ALL the transcripts to her multi-million dollar speeches to the Oligarchs of Wall St???

167. kladinvt says:

Once again, how much did it cost HillaryInc to buy up Aravosis?

168. ray jones says:

The.evidence is there are no real taxes information has been released , Bernie’s campaign has played fast and lose with this issue. Bernie’s camp knows that HC has a history of releasing her whole entire, tax information for decades. Recall Bernie is running on honesty,transparency, antiestablisment…yet here we call. You are doing hide my money, taxes….information.

169. ray jones says:

What if there stuff Bernie can’t explain. This again is not hard math…Bernie didn’t release his full returns even from 2014. It smells of hiding….his old returns are not hard to locate or release. Even Trump created a better lie. Bernie is playing a game no one with an ounce of real sense is falling for lame I don’t have don’t have time. Feet of clay